Blair Castle Is a Category ‘A’
listed building situated on the outskirts of the village of Culross.
The Estate was bought by the fife Coal Company during the First
World War to acquire the mineral rights. In 1927 the house and 28
acres of ground were gifted to the Fife, Kinross & Clackmannan
Welfare Committee for the use as a convalescent home. The home was
named “The Charles Carlow Miners’ Convalescent Home” after the
former Managing Director of the Fife Coal Company.
The home initially took 16 men but with the extension of the West
Wing in the 1950’s, the capacity was increased to around 70.
As the mining industry declined, other Homes in the surroundings
areas began to close and the Carlow Home Became available to miners
and their families from all over Scotland.